Writing is the love of my life.
I have to confess, writing itself, brings me inner peace, such happiness, joy, and contentment, that I do not experience from anything else I regularly do. Nothing compares to the feeling. If only writing books was that simple. But as a self- published Author of non-fiction, loads of other things have to be factored into the equation besides the writing itself:
- Interviewing – for this Asexual Perspectives book.
- Asking your intervieews more questions in view of their responses. This can mean a lot of back and forth emailing.
- Typing your handwritten book up, and your interviewee answers, or using copy and paste and re-formatting the text to fit your own font and type size.
- Editing your intervieews grammar, spelling and punctuation, enough so that it is legible, but still kept authentic and in their own voice.
- Editing your own writing for the book multiple times, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Proofreading, and again, and again, and again – and even more than that.
- Getting someone else to proof read it for you.
- Incorporating their interviews into the book so they blend in with your own part and emphasise what you are saying in their own, natural way.
- Writing the back matter and front matter.
- Creating a TOC.
- Getting a list of further resources together – where appropriate.
- Fomatting the book correction.
- Typsetting the book correctly.
- Correct pagination.
- Book cover design for Kindle and Createspace – with a blurb!
- Hiring the right designers, proofreaders and editors, if you can’t do that yourself.
- Purchasing ISBNs, if you want to use your own!!
And anything else I may have forgotten to mention.
So you can see that a love and passion for writing, has to be an almost obsession, to be able to give you the patience, determination and persistence, to pull off publishing your own book! You need to use your inner power to believe you will get it done, no matter what! Don’t over think it, just do it!