Monthly Archives: August 2013
If you are redundant and thinking of starting your own business or of trying a new approach to life, this book may be for you.
Voted best business book 2011 by Brad Burton’s wife, Get of your arse too , is a no-holds barred, tell-it-like-it-is, book about taking action to succeed in all aspects of your life. Brad speaks in his plain talking no-nonsense, meeting-a-mate-down-the-pub voice, making it easy to relate to whatever he is talking about.
In this book you will discover:
- Brad’s own story and what propelled him to move his life forward, both personally and professionally.
- How you can make positive changes to make more progress in your life and career.
- That as you are your business, being true to yourself in all aspects of your business, is essential for it to succeed.
- Ruling fear, instead of letting fear rule you, is a basic principal in getting ahead of whatever is holding you back in your life and career.
- The only way to live your life to its full potential, is your own unique way and only you can lead the way to what you want.
- It’s up to you to rely on yourself to make things work.
- Your success and happiness depends on you.
- There are no short cuts, running your own business means work, work, work, not a quick-fix cash machine.
- What results you get depend on what you put into your life and your business. It’s up to you to work hard, to put the hours in and get off your arse to make things happen.
One of my favourite quotes from the book is on page 5. “There is nothing worse than working for years only to realise that your ladder to success is leaning against the wrong wall.”
In short, Brad continually emphasises throughout the book, that it’s you who must take charge of your own destiny by really thinking about what you want and want really makes you happy. You must then face your fears, learn new stuff, make changes and get of your arse to achieve it.
If you want an unconventional business book to read, or a fresh approach to life and business, then make sure this one is on your list.
Are you currently unemployed? Do you think you would like to run your own business? Are you asking yourself, have I got what it takes to become a self-employed businessman/business woman?
If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, there is no better opportunity of finding out if you are suitable to run your own business, than enquiring about the New Enterprise Scheme and attending an Enterprise Club Start-up Training Course. To learn more about what the course has to offer, read my guest blog article “Have you got the guts to run your own business?’ on Sage One uk.sageone.com/2013/08/23/guts-to-run-your-own-business. The course is free and if you don’t want to go on the New Enterprise Allowance after you have completed the course, you don’t have to but you will receive lots of invaluable information that is vital to starting your own business. When opportunity knocks, don’t close the door.
As always, terms and conditions to attend the course and be able to have the New Enterprise Allowance, do apply.
Let me know if the blog article for Sage One is helpful?
It’s important not to live your life by others, live it by what you believe is right for you.
Plenty of people will try to tell you what job you should be doing and how you should live your life. From now on, you must take control.
Redundancy can make you feel out of control and the way to get it back is for you to take ownership of the situation. Establish your needs and wants right now and in the future. Make a plan on paper about how you are going to get these needs me. Then, you need to start taking action. Write down each day and week, exactly what your goals are. At the end of that day or week, tick off what you have achieved or carry it forward to the next day or week until you have accomplished it. You should have 5 lists:
- Emotional needs – Upset, angry, depressed and want to feel better. Solution, see a counsellor or talk to family and friends.
- Personal needs – Raise your self-confidence. Solution, join a support group, try new things, buy new clothes.
- Professional needs – Need up-to-date skills for jobs. Solution, take a course to update skills, get work experience.
- Financial needs – No income. Solution, get benefits sorted and set a budget for shopping.
- Practical needs – To make job searches as quick and easy as possible. Solution, turn a room into an office for job hunting and visit http://www.beatredundancyblues.com and http://www.beatredundancyblues.co.uk to get access to Job Sites, Recruitment Sites and Courses Sites from within the one site.
Remember, these are your needs, nobody else’s. If you ask other people what they think you need and want, you are not in control and it defeats the purpose, that is to put you ‘back in the driving seat of your life.’
After you have ticked off each achievement, you still need to acknowledge these successes in your diary. If you do this as positive reinforcement, your subconscious will realise the progress you are making and it will be more motivated to take conscious action.
Until next time
I have decide to do more inspirational posts as people seem to enjoy reading them.
LIKE A WARRIOR
Like a warrior, you will fight through the bad times and celebrate the good.
Like a firefighter you will put out the flames of grief that burn within you.
Like an angel, you will watch over yourself and keep yourself safe.
Like a wise owl, you will know instinctively when it’s time to move on.
Like a baby, you will be re-born again with new adventures waiting for you.
Like a star, you will light up the world.
Like the sun, you will glow with pride.
Like yourself and new opportunities will arise that you never thought possible.
For when you are completely at one with who you are, like a warrior, you will be, truly, unstoppable.
Whilst being redundant, depression can rear it’s ugly head.
One of the ways of overcoming feelings of depression, is to lift your mood by changing your state of being. You can do this through:
- Movement – Such as dancing or playing sport
- Looking – Watching an action movie
- Listening – To music
- Touching – Stroking a pet
All of these should distract your mind and take your focus off your unwanted thoughts.
Depression is a state of mind that manifests itself into your state of being. Your being responds by harvesting unhappy emotions, feelings and thoughts. You need to pinpoint the cause of your depression and literally cut back on it or cut it out completely from your life. Metaphorically speaking – It is like mould that attacks fruit, once it gets hold, it will continue to spread. You can either cut it out and eat the rest, which may still be infected, or you can throw it away for good and never go near it again. Obviously you would never physically cut yourself, as that is wrong and not what I am saying.
Along with changing your state of being, you need to increase your self-confidence and self-esteem. You need to counteract all of the negative comments from others and from yourself, by speaking only positive words to yourself, over and over again. You must ban yourself from using any negative words.
You need to view obstacles as challenges and be blessed for what you have.
Always tell yourself – You are the world’s greatest.